Animal Science Graduate Field/Program uri icon

  • Loading website image. . .   
The field requires one more member on the Special Committee of both M.S. and candidates (i.e., three for the M.S., four for the Ph.D.) than is required by the Graduate School. At least one member of the Special Committee must be a member of the faculty in a department other than that of the chairperson. Students in an M.S. or a Ph.D. program are required to assist with the teaching program of the department. 
The Master of Professional Studies (Agriculture) degree is intended primarily for applicants who want to further their academic training in animal science but whose interests may not be oriented toward research. It's a special non-thesis degree program requiring a minimum of two residence units and the satisfactory completion of 30 hours of coursework related to the professional interests of the candidate. Approval of the report of a problem-solving project is also required.In addition, the M.P.S. (Agriculture and Life Sciences) program has a Peace Corp option in which the student undertakes two semesters of academic work at Cornell and a Peace Corp assignment. For information and instructions on how to apply, visit the M.P.S. (Agriculture and Life Sciences)/Peace Corps Web site, or contact International Programs, 33 Warren Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853; phone 607-255-3037; email
Depending on specific objectives, students interested in this field may also want to examine opportunities in the Fields of Food Science and Technology; Nutrition; and Molecular and Integrative Physiology.
The field offers three degrees:

Affiliated Departments


    • animal nutrition
    • animal science
    • physiology of reproduction

field members