Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory Core Facility/Service Laboratory uri icon

  • Loading website image. . .   

description

  • The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory opened formally in 1948 and was the second catheterization laboratory built in New York City. In the 1960s, the Lab was on the cutting edge of the development of techniques and catheters for transseptal catheterization of the left atrium.

    In 1983, the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory performed its first balloon angioplasty. In the mid 1990s, new interventional techniques, including atherectomy, stents, and laser angioplasty, were incorporated as routine percutaneous interventions. More recently, researchers at the laboratory have played a vital role in the assessment of gene therapy, direct myocardial revascularization, and radiotherapy in the treatment of heart disease.

    In February 1999, the laboratory inaugurated a new cardiac catheterization suite with four digital laboratories. Our experienced operators have completed close to 5000 invasive procedures this year alone. All imaging equipment, including the digital archival system, is state-of-the-art and representative of the mission statement of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital--to deliver the highest possible quality of care through our dedicated staff.

    The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory exceeds the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines and recommendations for the quality of both its medical facilities and the physicians performing procedures.